This is the first post in this blog and simply outlines the course aims, learning outcomes and assessment criteria. I need to continually review my progress against this.
The aim of this course is to help you:
- Gain a working knowledge of key terms of theory
- Understand the relationship between art and visual culture
- Debate critical issues around Modernism
- Research and communicate relevant topics
- Evaluate arguments in light of selected theories
On successful completion of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Demonstrate a degree of fluency with selected theories
- Debate the autonomy of art
- Explain the concept of ‘difference’ in contemporary theory
- Exercise critical thinking across a range of arguments
- Research and discuss key examples of visual culture
I must consider how each of the assignments demonstrate evidence of each criterion below – this will be included in a self evaluation published prior to submitting each assessment.
- Demonstration of subject based knowledge and understanding
Broad and comparative understanding of subject content, knowledge of the appropriate historical, intellectual, cultural or institutional contexts.
- Demonstration of research skills
Information retrieval and organisation, use of IT to assist research, ability to evaluate IT sources, the ability to design and carry out a research project, locate and evaluate evidence from a wide range of primary and secondary sources (visual, oral, aural or textual).
- Demonstration of critical and evaluation skills
Engagement with concepts, values and debates, evidence of analysis, reflection, critical thinking, synthesis, interpretation in relation to relevant issues and enquiries.
The ability to communicate ideas and knowledge in written and spoken form, including presentation skills.